Wednesday 6 November 2013

Quote of the Week Review: Goodfellas (1990)

By Ben Hanna

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster"

Goodfellas, directed in 1990 by Martin Scorsese is a classic mobster movie containing blood, scores, hits and betrayals. A real in depth look into the highs and lows of being a true mobster during the 50s and 80s.

“I always wanted to be a gangster”, a dream I’d like to think we all share, who wouldn’t want to be a gangster? All the money you could want, having the freedom to do anything but more importantly, having goons run around and do your errands. Martin Scorsese takes the audience on a journey to show us the high life of a gangster. However, not every aspect of life as a mobster was wonderful. We’re also taken into the nitty gritty side of the gangster life, the side that could get you ‘whacked’ if you mention it.

"You're a funny guy": Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta exchange pleasantries.
Martin Scorsese’s use of cinematography is just fantastic, each shot brings a sense of belonging and helps to draw the audience with shots that have a real effect on us as we watch. The way Martin positions the audience throughout the film encourages us to feel sympathy for the main characters. Despite the crimes and vicious nature of a mobster, we feel like crime is okay. Martin Scorsese tells the story by using a narrator which is a nice touch that we don’t see very often. I feel like it really helps to tell the story and keeps the audience engaged with the narrative, this happens from beginning to end.

A big thing for me during Goodfellas is the sound, the classy music and feel good locations help me feel a part of the narrative. There has always been something alluring about the lifestyle of a mobster, getting into exclusive clubs and having connections. My favourite scene is when we’re taken into the back of the nightclub and through the kitchen. It’s taken in one shot that, surprisingly, doesn’t feel like a drag. It makes me feel like Ray Liotta is taking me to dinner rather than Lorraine Bracco. I like that feeling.

The film as a whole was incredible, I was engaged from beginning to end and didn’t manage to stumble upon a dull moment. All of the characters were relatable and I found each of them interesting. For me, this film is definitely one to watch from Martin Scorsese.


No comments:

Post a Comment